Thursday, August 11, 2005

Type II Diabetes

Well, I guess I'm not so different after all. After reading for years of the "epidemic" of diabetes in the U.S., I guess I'm among the hundreds of thousands with TypeII -- the kind where I'm making plenty of insulin but not using it well. I seem to have been heading toward this for years. My blood sugars got high enough that my internist wanted to start measuring my average blood sugar over the past 3 months with a measure called A1C. This technique takes advantage of the fact that free glucose in the blood binds irreversably to hemoglobin, and the red blood cell supply regenerates itself in 3 months, so that glucose bound in this manner is directly proportional to the average availability of glucose over the last 3 months. So my A1C at first was 6.7, then 6.2, then 6.3, and that didn's satisfy my doctor. To me, I"ve eaten well for many years. I was vegetarian for 9 years, 5 of those narrowly macrobiotic. I am back to eating widely for 20 years now, but I don't drink pop, fruit juice, don't eat candy, etc. But it turns out that history has done more to keep my cholesterol low than my blood sugar. But now I'm going further back -- whole grains only, e.g. But the real surprise is learning about my portions. I had no idea that the 1/2 cup of roast almonds I casually had in the evening for a snack was 850cals! I feel so smart in some ways and so dumb in others. I'm in the food business and know a lot about nutrition, but am WAY off in thinking about appropriate portions. Some of that comes from feeling so deprived -- I swear I eat 1/3 of what I used to eat as a young man, and thinking of eating less just seems too little. So I'm taking diabetic classes to learn about all this, and also using a neat little glucose meter that determines my blood sugar in about 5 seconds -- cool technology. It really is interesting to confirm that my blood sugar is lowest in the morning after sleeping and fasting, and highest about 2 hours after eating grains, or 10 minutes after eating something obviously sweet. Duh! Anyway this late education is somewhat revelatory for me. I continue to exercise rigorously 3-4 times a week, and have never had this much muscle mass in my life. But the diabetic folks say less exercise but daily is more effective for their purpose, and my doctor says he doesn't care about my muscle mass, he doesn't want me to weigh this much. So much for my sense of what's good for me! So the only other thing to blog on about is that I've had peripheral neuropathy in my feet for over ten years. That means my feet have gotten progressively "numb" (some would say that's true of my brain as well). This is a symptom that can be caused by many things, but usually diabetes. But when this symptom started my blood sugar was normal. The latest research is now finding that many people with this "preceeding" symptom are turning out to have, guess what?, Type II Diabetes. And that's the rest of the story. What do I know anyway -- just a poor boy from Palmyra MI.

11 Comments:

Blogger NewsBlogger said...

I am RadioFreq, and I have SEARCHING out FOR THE LATEST INFORMATION ON colon cancer and found your site.
Sorry, I have see that your Type II Diabetes wasn't exactly, what I was looking for, but, certainly got my attention and interest. If you like you can contact me. Your page I see row why I found when I was looking for colon cancer related information. Anyway, I am glad I stopped by even though this isn’t a perfect match. Wish you success with your site.

Fritz

12:50 PM  
Blogger NewsBlogger said...

I am RadioFreq, and I have SEARCHING out FOR THE LATEST INFORMATION ON diabetes treatment and found your site.
Sorry, I have see that your Type II Diabetes wasn't exactly, what I was looking for, but, certainly got my attention and interest. If you like you can contact me. Your page I see row why I found when I was looking for diabetes treatment related information. Anyway, I am glad I stopped by even though this isn’t a perfect match. Wish you success with your site.

Fritz

2:04 AM  
Blogger NewsBlogger said...

Hi, I am RadioFreq, and like to contact you!

By my SEARCHING out FOR THE LATEST INFORMATION about american diabetes association I have found your site.
Of course, I was looking out for american diabetes association related information and I have found your Type II Diabetes. Sorry, I have seen that isn't a perfect match. But, anyway, I am glad I have stopped by even though this isn’t a perfect match. What you have in your content is very interesting for most people.
I like to set up a link to you. What you think about?
It does will be a pleasure, if you contact me. Perhaps we have some same ideas. Wish you success with your site.

Fritz

2:44 AM  
Blogger NewsBlogger said...

Hi, I am RadioFreq, and like to contact you!

By my SEARCHING out FOR THE LATEST INFORMATION about diabetes care I have found your site.
Of course, I was looking out for diabetes care related information and I have found your Type II Diabetes. Sorry, I have seen that isn't a perfect match. But, anyway, I am glad I have stopped by even though this isn’t a perfect match. What you have in your content is very interesting for most people.
I like to set up a link to you. What you think about?
It does will be a pleasure, if you contact me. Perhaps we have some same ideas. Wish you success with your site.

Fritz

12:25 PM  
Blogger NewsBlogger said...

Hi there RadioFreq, I AM OUT SEARCHING FOR THE LATEST INFORMATION ON diabetes care and found your site.
Although Type II Diabetes wasn't exactly, what I was looking for, it certainly got my attention and interest. I see row why I found your page when I was looking for diabetes care related information, and I am glad I stopped by even though this isn’t a perfect match.

Fritz

6:44 AM  
Blogger NewsBlogger said...

I am RadioFreq, and I have SEARCHING out FOR THE LATEST INFORMATION ON diabetes recipe and found your site.
Sorry, I have see that your Type II Diabetes wasn't exactly, what I was looking for, but, certainly got my attention and interest. If you like you can contact me. Your page I see row why I found when I was looking for diabetes recipe related information. Anyway, I am glad I stopped by even though this isn’t a perfect match. Wish you success with your site.

Fritz

10:42 AM  
Blogger NewsBlogger said...

Hello, I like to contact you! My name is RadioFreq,
By my SEARCHING out FOR THE LATEST INFORMATION about diabetes information I have found your site.
I was looking out for diabetes information related information. Sorry, I have see that your Type II Diabetes isn't a perfect match. But, anyway, I am glad I have stopped by even though this isn’t a perfect match. What you have in your content is very interesting for most people.
I like to set up a link to you. What you think about?
It does will be a pleasure, if you contact me. Perhaps we have some same ideas. Wish you success with your site.

Fritz

10:10 AM  
Blogger NewsBlogger said...

Hello, my name is RadioFreq,
I have SEARCHING out FOR THE LATEST INFORMATION aboutdiabetes symptom and found your site.
I was looking out for diabetes symptom related information. Anyway, I am glad I have stopped by even though this isn’t a perfect match.
Sorry, I have see that your Type II Diabetes wasn't exactly, what I was looking for, but, certainly got my attention and interest.
It does will be a pleasure, if you contact me. Perhaps we have some same ideas. Wish you success with your site.

Fritz

12:33 PM  
Blogger NewsBlogger said...

Hi, I am RadioFreq, and like to contact you!

By my SEARCHING out FOR THE LATEST INFORMATION about juvenile diabete I have found your site.
Of course, I was looking out for juvenile diabete related information and I have found your Type II Diabetes. Sorry, I have seen that isn't a perfect match. But, anyway, I am glad I have stopped by even though this isn’t a perfect match. What you have in your content is very interesting for most people.
I like to set up a link to you. What you think about?
It does will be a pleasure, if you contact me. Perhaps we have some same ideas. Wish you success with your site.

Fritz

5:41 AM  
Blogger NewsBlogger said...

Hello, my name is RadioFreq,
I have SEARCHING out FOR THE LATEST INFORMATION aboutdiabetes diet and found your site.
I was looking out for diabetes diet related information. Anyway, I am glad I have stopped by even though this isn’t a perfect match.
Sorry, I have see that your Type II Diabetes wasn't exactly, what I was looking for, but, certainly got my attention and interest.
It does will be a pleasure, if you contact me. Perhaps we have some same ideas. Wish you success with your site.

Fritz

11:25 PM  
Blogger NewsBlogger said...

Hello, my name is RadioFreq,
I have SEARCHING out FOR THE LATEST INFORMATION aboutdiabetes care and found your site.
I was looking out for diabetes care related information. Anyway, I am glad I have stopped by even though this isn’t a perfect match.
Sorry, I have see that your Type II Diabetes wasn't exactly, what I was looking for, but, certainly got my attention and interest.
It does will be a pleasure, if you contact me. Perhaps we have some same ideas. Wish you success with your site.

Fritz

3:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home