Monday, July 18, 2005

Mary's 50th

We celebrated Mary's 50th birthday last Friday in modest fashion at the cottage. It was the first time in a couple of years, given disparate schedules, that all four of us had been at the cottage at the same time. Mary was vehement about having no parties for her birthday, so we didn't. But Mary's parents and sisters Karen & Bridget had made secret plans with me to drive to the cottage on Saturday and surprise her. Since Mary was napping when they arrived, they all filed in the bedroom with the cake and she awoke to an awkward version of "Happy Birthday" -- first rate surprise.
We had hot and muggy weather through the weekend and were grateful to be at the lake. Since getting a depth finder for my boat, I finally had a chance to get out on the water and really use it -- very interesting after growing up on that lake, and having benefit of my father's version of topgraphic maps that he used when he fished. I think we always fished on the "wild" end of the lake because of Dad's bias toward the undeveloped part of the lake -- we always fished the East end. But what I found with the depth/fish finder was that there were many more fish down in the deep holes of the West end. Not sure why that would be. Sunday nite, Grandpa and I went out and slow trolled with bottom bouncers and rapalas/cleos. Within 20 mins I had a 28" pike, and 15 mins later Dad had a 30" pike -- the biggest fish he'd ever caught. Glad I could provide him that thrill.
Am reading a great geology book "Reading the Rocks" by Marcia Bjornerund that really pulls a lot together in a way I've never gotten. A fine book, well written, and cutting across the usual approach to geology.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home